Friday, January 22, 2010

Poem: In Praise of Women

(I wrote this poem about a year ago. It has something of a free-form vibe to it, and I hope you enjoy it.)

Too often

I think we're quick
to dissect women
into discrete parts.
Nice ass.
Nice tits.
Nice lips.
Nice hips.
Nice smile.
Nice eyes.
But rarely
do we try
to analyze
exactly why we love women.

I know that for me
it is about the discrete
physical parts.
Somewhat.
They do get my attention.
Full, plump, kissable lips.
Curves throughout the breasts and hips.
A rear view to die for.
Eyes that I can lose myself in.
Yes, they do get my attention.
But it's about so much more.

It's about how
they touch me
both physically
and mentally
in very different ways.
Sometimes the mental
is more important than the physical.
Not necessarily because
I seek a challenge
but I don't mind one.

I know that my life
has been changed
by all of the women that
have passed through it.
From my friends and past partners
to my close relations.
They have guided me.
Educated me.
Fought with me.
Fought for me.
Consoled me.
Hurt me.
Loved me.
I am a better man because
of these things.
And while I may not know
women as well as I would like
it has been a start.

That warmth
that closeness
serving as the yin to my yang
Restoring balance to my life.

Maybe it can't be quantified
or verified
in any traditional sense.
Maybe the answer
lies deep inside all of us.
But I know that these
are a couple of the reasons
I love women.

No comments:

Post a Comment